Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I've fun learning new stuff

For more than last two months I've been working with the team at LMC on their system that runs biggest job board in Czech Republic www.jobs.cz. I need to say that it is quite interesting for me. There is a lot to learn and they use a variety of technologies to build their system. Most people will judge it just looking at the website presenting job ads but there is more on the back-end side where recruiters manage their campaigns.

Moving from tooling and RCP-based application to a larger system running on web is fun. Teams are using Scrum more or less successfully and do their best to push updates for deployment to production bi-weekly. I believe we will be able to do even better in the future because there is a feeling that move towards more frequent releases was a good one. Jenkins is used heavily and some parts of system are deployed from it directly. Maven is used most often for builds and I have to admit that it makes many things simpler because maintaining too many Ant scripts would be a nightmare. Here I had to convert to Git though I prefer Mercurial. As a part of that conversion I became an early adopter of NetBeans 7.2 because there are some important bugfixes in their Git support. My current task is to refactor some web service that runs deployed on JBoss and make it talk to database in an efficient way. Of course I am trying to cover this with some basic tests and grunt why so many cool technologies come without (unit-)testing story. And there is long list of tasks that I can choose from next. Most of them have the promise that I will have to learn something new.

As you can see it keeps me busy and the downside is that my other projects are almost stalled. NBAndroid rarely receives updates these days and I need to decide what is will be the future of my Android app Fireside Talk.

BTW: new Head of Technology is wanted :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment